Kirsti's Finished Objects

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Classic Cable Hat and Sweater



Pattern: From Top Down for Toddlers by Deb and Lynda Gemell
Yarn: Shepherd Baby Wool 4ply in shade 3835. 1 ball for the hat, and the remains of that ball plus another 3 for the sweater.
Sizes: Hat knit in larger of 2 sizes, sweater knit in the 2 year old size.
Needles: Addi Turbo circulars in 6 for the hat (which served as a guage swatch for the sweater, and came up with too many stitches) and 7 for the sweater. Plus size 6 bamboo double pointed needles to start off the top of the hat, and size 7 bamboo double pointed needles to pick up the sweater sleeves.
Comments: Otherwise known as Top Secret Projects 1 and 2. This was my first big "not a scarf" project, and I was really impressed with the pattern. It was clear, well-written and I felt that I actually understood what I was doing, rather than just following directions. This was my first time knitting with double pointed needles, which took a while to master. Working the hat first was a good introduction and ease into the cables, which also included my first "twist" cables too. I had such fun knitting it, can't wait to see Oscar in the sweater, and all my friends with kids want at least a hat for Christmas, so I'm sure it won't be the last time I knit this pattern.
Ended up: As a first birthday gift for my nephew Oscar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home